Thursday, November 29, 2012

Man Crushes, Part 2

I think we need to briefly digress our conversation to discuss our mutual man-crushes.
As a born and raised American westerner, I attribute my deep and abiding love of Anglophilia to a culture and a nation where truly old "things" and traditions still exist.  We lose our shit out here to a building built in 1920, and clamor to have it included in the historical registry.  Our accents are flat and affect-less, we are the part of the country where Americans and immigrants came to build new lives, so our attachments to anything are out of pure sentimentality.
Thus, it is a well-known fact that I fold at the sound of a British accent because it represents something that is eternally and sorely lacking in this part of the world.
Let us discuss the following bullet points.
1) Ian McShane, a former member of the Royal Shakespeare Company, has a voice like a good scotch.  I want it poured over everything.
2) Michael Caine.  He along with Morgan Freeman are my adoptive Grandfathers, and they read me Dickens aloud every night.  I will put on a widow's veil and properly mourn when Michael Caine passes.  If you ever want to fall madly in love, watch his episode of "Inside the Actor's Studio," and tell me you don't want to leave the wife for him when he starts speaking in Cockney rhyme.  (I have forewarned the husband that I will piss myself and scream/sob should I ever encounter Sir Caine.)
3) Jamie Oliver.  My cousin married a proper Cambridge-educated Englishman, whose blood boils every time someone calls a woman "love." He finds it common and cheap.  I find it fucking fantastic.  Whenever Jamie Oliver calls a cafeteria worker "love," I sigh.  My other man crush Anthony Bourdain wrote about Jamie Oliver in one of his books, and apologized for originally classifying him as an obnoxious British punk kid who lucked out on a restaurant, admitting that if Bourdain had Oliver's money and clout, he didn't know if he would use it for the good Oliver does.  The man has taken on the cause of improving eating habits of the poor, and he is practically a saint for doing so.
4) Jesus Mary and Joseph, Shane Taylor in Band of Brothers.  His character not only speaks an American accent but convincingly plays an American cajun without veering into weird-hick territory.
5) Damian Lewis, my man Major Winters, plays an American soldier turned sleeper cell agent in Homeland.  G_d strike me down, but when that man whips out his prayer rug on the show, I get a funny feeling (Like all nice Jewish girls do).
6) Ben Kingsely.  My actress friend once described to me the resume of an actor while working at the surprisingly large and successful Utah Shakespeare Festival, the living example of what can be accomplished when a very wealthy patron leaves all of their money to the arts in southern Utah.  She explained that every actor has one to two go-to accents that they can do, usually British or Irish, if working in Shakespeare, meaning that they can reasonably cover the regional dialects of Britain and Ireland while still sounding like they know what they're doing.  The fact that Sir Kingsley has played everything from a Polish Jew, to Ghandi, to every range of British character, to Iranian-American, to Russian, to Egyptian, to Australian and does so in flawless accents is apparently near-impossible to accomplish. Even the best will fail once in a while, and according to her, Kingsley has never missed the mark once.
7) There is nothing more appealing than a British thug in a great suit.  Hand/neck tattoos optional but highly appreciated.
8) Were you aware that Idris Elba of "The Wire" (aka Stringer Bell) is a fellow Jamie Oliver east-ender?  Now you know.
9) Nate Silver is to you like Jon Stewart is to me, especially when he does his "old Jewish woman" voice.

–Sofia

No comments:

Post a Comment