Friday, November 30, 2012

Baby Britain

As long as you’re OK with my love of Baby Britain, which is a fine example of a westerner using his Anglophilia for good. It’s the best Beatles song ever.

Revolver’s been turned over

One of my favorite memories about my trip to London in December 2003 was how good the music in public spaces was, especially considering it was Christmas. We were in an Indian restaurant for lunch, and they played an unedited version of the Pogues’ Fairytale of New York.

I have attempted to add that song to my repertoire of baby lullabies but the wife is having none of it. She’s expressed reservations about the opening lyrics, my attempts at growling through Shane MacGowan’s “It was Christmas eve babe, in the drunk tank”. I thought I would be safe just by cutting out Kirsty MacColl’s “ya scumbag ya maggot, ya cheap lousy” but no…

–Nadia

No comments:

Post a Comment